Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sticks I've Chewed On

My human doesn't fully appreciate the sublime.  Take for example a stick.  That musky earthy taste is yummy.  Sticks are easy to chew & remind me of a bone. The crunchy sound and pile of shreds and spit I leave on the ground is really satisfying.  This spring I spent much of my time dragging large branches across the yard & disrupting the wood pile kept under the deck.  I brought several up the stairs to the top of the deck but SWHT forbade me from bringing them in the house.  She did consent to let me bring a stick in the car that I found at a gas station during one of our many stops along the road.  Every stick has a special story behind it.  I carefully select the one that has the best smell on it.  I give it a few test chews to make sure the texture is just right.  If there are other dogs around I do a victory lap in front of them to announce that I found the perfect stick.  I make sure to wave the stick in their faces and run like hell if they try to grab it.


This is my car stick.  I found it outside a Casey's gas station in a small town in Missouri.  It's one of my special ones ;)
I searched all over the mulched dog park to find to find this one.  SWHT was impressed that when she threw it I would find the exact same one among the pile of sticks on the ground.  Considering my awesome sense of smell this doesn't seem like such an amazing thing but SWHT is sometimes easily impressed.

My Grandhuman also known as Grampy found this giant stick at the dog park for me.  I tried to run off with it but it was quite heavy.  It was also a source of much laughter to the other humans there.  Not sure I understand why that would be so funny but humans are an odd bunch and generally unhappy so I won't begrudge them a laugh.



2 comments:

  1. That's a lovely stick collection you have, Lily Mae. I'm sure they bring you much happiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good story of sticks and a very satisfying hobby I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete